I say this, because I have found myself to be the "new guy" quite a lot in my working life. I just turned 27, so I've been working for about 10 years.
I have done a myriad of things, mostly related to the home construction industry. Framing, Concrete, "clean up guy", plumbing, HVAC installer and fabricator; I've been through a few houses. More recently I've been into the health care field, becoming a Nursing Assistant - Certified. Its the first time I've been "certified" anything, so it makes me a little proud.
I also spent a year making wooden model sailboats. Thats right. We made them from 12" to nearly 5 feet long. Some remote control, some just on a string. Theres nothing as rewarding, for me, than working with my hands.
| A 50" hull that I made out of strips of Wester Red Cedar |
Which brings us back to health care, or Nursing in particular. Im really excited to be getting into a "hand-on" field, where Im working with people and helping them feel better.
So, I'm The New Guy again, and learning so much. It should be fun.
You seem to be the hands on guy. Pretty cool. I like the sailboat project that you did. When I was in middle school, I made a chair in wookshop class, so I like those kind of things:)What made you go into nursing as compared to contruction? It seems like those two careers are on different sides of the sprectrum.
ReplyDeleteConstruction has its upsides, like being outside, makeing something out of a pile of sticks, and generally being very manly.
ReplyDeleteIt also has its downsides, like being outside, an apparent lack of intelligence in my co-workers, and generally being manly to a point of it being a problem.
I came to nursing through fire-fighting. The short version of the story is that I discovered that I really enjoy helping people, and generally have a very caring personality. Nursing is mostly an excellent way to put this to good use in a format that can support a family without being in a mind-numbing career.